Sunday, February 24, 2013

#34 - Brooks Half Marathon - Race Shirt Collection


Oh, bad weather we're having outside right now, and the iPod absolutely despise low-light photography, so grainy picture of my bib number then.

But hey - at least I can... divulge... about... sigh, there is no upside to this. The days (and weeks) leading up to the big race, my first HM for 2013, is getting worse by every turn. Here's a handy list:

1. Left leg - Achilles tendon; aches every time I wake up in the morning. Three weeks.
2. Right leg - Medial tibial stress; has improved by Monday actually, but a run around the track on Sunday Morning brought it up once again.

Which brought me to a rather unusual conclusion: the track hates me.

"Psst! Hey, rubber bead no.11387! I know this guy. Let's break his leg. It will be fun."

Bear with me on this one for a while, but I've been putting in three hours of intermediary training over the span of four days, on road, and I've had a relatively pain-free run. Read through that sentence again - I said on road.

But once I start jogging (yes, jogging) slowly (yes, slowly) on the track (yes, the track), it's "Hello, Mr. Cripple" once again.

It might just be the running track at Seksyen 15 that is actively trying to hurt me, I don't know, because the other running track in the Bangi area that I know of is at UKM. And, oh boy, does it look terrible. The muscles and tendons in my both legs are already brittle enough that it shatters every time I shudder, looking at the shape of the surface of the track.

It's dark - very sinister.

Huh, so Google Image reckons this album is 'dark and sinister'

So, to anyone out there reading this, if you happen to run pass by a guy in bright orange singlet whose run is getting slower, and possibly grimacing in unbridled pain and frustration in equal parts, and bearing the bib number of A10339, say hi.

Don't tap on the shoulder - I might dislocate it.

Oh my, even typing out this entry is killing my fingers and giving my eyes arthritis.

Batter-fried squid! Now I'm having gout as well!

In other development, after two weeks of being away, the housemate is finally home. So, we had a little celebration last night at the Ana Ikan Bakar Petai restaurant. We had ikan pari bakar petai, sotong goreng tepung, kailan goreng ikan masin, and tomyam campur ayam & daging.

Sounds delicious, right?

But in all seriousness, I still don't see what's the big fuss with Ana Ikan Bakar Petai. I mean, this place never fail to attract a huge crowd even when it's the middle of the month. There will always be a long queue. The price is pretty reasonable, and the food is okay - not terrible, not outstanding, but just outside the boundary of 'meh'.

There's nothing to really shout about.


All this feasting, I can only wish if it could help me with the actual race next weekend. Because by the look of how things are unfolding with my legs right now, to even finish the race is a miracle.

I can sort of imagine the shame when all the ladies takes a look at my trophy and go: "Wait - is that all?"

Damn.

2 comments:

  1. aku lari my first 10k sini nanti. tak boleh potong kot orang yg lari HM. Good luck bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. First 10k? All the best bro. Aku Ahad ni macam akan jadi my first ever DNS - petang semalam buat slow jog, memang definitely kena shin splint kaki kanan ni. Aduhai...

    ReplyDelete