Monday, March 11, 2013

#36 - Raptor Watch 2013


Friday, 8 March 2013, 6:00 p.m.

Just finished my tea break at McD (twister fries for the win!), I glanced at my watch - it says 18:08 hours. Yeah, I'm wearing the Casio wristwatch. Very helpful this watch is to me whenever I'm going for a run because it has this feature that allows me to stop time at will. Kind of like Doctor Who.

Not that I've actually seen the show.

But whenever other people turn to me wanting to know the time, that's when I actively hate the watch, and then the time-asker. "Fuck it now I have to deduct eight minutes from the time on my watch to give the correct time reading", I grumbled quietly under my breath.


Friday, 8 March 2013, 6:30 p.m.

Okay NOW I'm in a rushing mode, having spent a good ten minutes trying to decide which Nature Valley granola bar should I buy. Apparently I made the mistake of undermining the power of surprise of Friday evening traffic jam.

"Surprise!"
"Gah! Kill it! Kill it with fire!"

You see, I have promised to my two carpoolers that we will be meeting at the KL Sentral at 6:50 p.m. With ten minutes to go, I am still stuck somewhere in Kajang. I had my brief moment of road rage.

I'm not very proud of it.

Saturday, 9 March 2013, 9:00 a.m.

PNB Ilham Resort - ground zero. So I see that the number of booths for this year has slightly increased. That is good. But because of it the Nature Guides booth was slightly hidden. That is not good.


After finish setting up our booth, the duty roster was put up - the lead guide's name was put first, then the sweeper have the freedom to choose with whom they want to team up with. Since my name was on number ten, I thought my first trip would start somewhere around the region of 11 a.m. or so.

Boy was I wrong.

Saturday, 9 March 2013, 6:15 p.m.

First day of the event and I had to do three trips - the first was with the form 4 students from the Royal Military College. Very good kids. Then it was another group of students from Melaka (Notre Dame school). Then it was the walk-in group - six adults and four children.

Worn out and sweaty after a long day, I was only thinking of going back to the hotel and take a nice cold shower. I deserve it.

Azmir (one of the carpooler) announced that he will be joining Elena for a hike up the Batu Putih trail. I've never gone to that place before.

"I'm in".


The ten or so minutes hike was totally worth, even though my left knee was giving up. Once we were on top of the 'batu putih', I climbed down towards the edge of the cliff where it is looking out westward towards the Sumatra island.

I sat down on one of the white stone and soon enough, swiftlets flew one after another right in front of my face, coming from left to right.

Mother nature is awesome.

Saturday, 9 March 2013, 9:00 p.m.


As usual with all dinner events where some Dato' VIP has to officiate the event, everyone else who is actually doing something, breaking sweat and their own back, to ensure the success of the event, has to patiently sit at the table, having a (presumably forced) discourse while the food that is already served on the buffet table gets cold.

They made us wait. They - the people who are not even contributing an ounce of anything worthwhile to the cause - have the gall to make the rest of the world wait for them.

If not because I was too lazy to go out and get a better dinner anywhere else, I would've just said no

Sunday, 10 March 2013, 10:00 a.m.


Final day - final thoughts. I got to do only one trip for the day, but this time it was a group of adults (Specifically, staffs from uh, some cement company) It was nice to finally get to talk with fellow adults after so long been talking to half-wits - non-adults, sorry.

They are a far more appreciative crowd, I can remark. Which I really appreciate. A lot. I wonder - if only college students can be just as appreciative as these adults are...


Oh, I just cannot be outdone by a suave raptor on a whiteboard.

Thank you Raptor Watch 2013 for the experience!

Also, a note of thanks to Elena Shim for some of the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment