Sunday, March 31, 2013

#39 - MAKNA Founder's Run 2013 - Pre and Post


Hey-oh! Just got back from the race at Padang Merbok, and boy, do I have no story to share. So, let's get cracking...

Act 1 - Pre-Race

For a Friday afternoon drive, and a lunch break hour at that, the trip from Bangi to Petaling Jaya was rather smooth-flowing. The plan was to pick-up the race pack, then a Nasi Arab lunch in Gombak, then drive back to Bangi. But since the traffic was too kind to us, I changed my plan.

But first thing first...

Oh yeah... shiny forehead. All marathon champions have that. Yeah...

Apart from the bib number obviously, which came along with what they call it a ChampionChip - basically a timing-chip device - which considering how many other races have their timing-chip attached to the bib, this one feels rather 20th century-ish, the small paper bag also carries three packets of Salonpas medicated plaster, two packets of shampoo that I will never for the life of me use, and a number of coupons.

No complaints there.

Act 2 - Post Pre-Race

As we (Oh, forgot to mention that I went to the race pack collection with the housemate; the other two girls, apparently, I totally forgot to take into consideration. Ha!) were leaving the place, feeling very hungry, we drew up a list of places to go to have our lunch. Along the way, my attention was directed to a bunting -

"SportsDirect.com is having a stock clearance sale. And it's on today."

The housemate has announced earlier that he wanted to look for a new pair of running shorts for the race. So, off to Subang then.

Lunch! It's our lunch's pre-lunch!

Oh, sorry, that picture up there just had to barge right in the middle of things. But just look at it. Look at it! It's mini chicken drumet doused with buffalo sauce, chicken deep fried in batter, and some chicken mushroom thing in a bread thing. It's the chicken holy trinity.

Yeah, shiny forehead. You dig that don't ya...

And that drink that I'm having right there is called Pina Chillada. Yeah, it's the pansy's version of the Pina Colada. I know. But holy fuzzball schmoly guzzler that drink was a real kicker. (Note: the 'kick' comes from the generous amount of calories, not alcohol)

Lunch! It's our lunch's lunch!

As a side note, I ordered the starter plate, and the housemate picked the main course, which is the Fajita Trio. It has tender grilled steak, marinated grilled chicken and spicy garlic, and lime grilled prawns, all served with a generous serving of onions and bell peppers, with a side of tortilla bread. Soft, soft tortilla bread. Sounds delicious isn't it? Yeah, copied all that from the Chili's web page.

Awesome.

Act 3 - Post Race

This picture is now starting to prove it's jasa

First of all, this race was held at Padang Merbok, and the route they're using is exactly the same as the one with the MPIB Run, which means, I totally love it. If it's hygienic I'd lick it.

Not that it would be any less awkward...

Second of all, as usual, being a disciplined person that I am, I woke up at 3:30 a.m., cooked fried rice, had breakfast, showered and is ready to leave by 4:30 a.m. The housemate however, being the ever midnight oil burner himself, only stumbled to have shower by 5. Still, that was nothing.

So, after all said and done, we left the house at 5:30 a.m., which to my standard, is already considered late. The race starts at 7:00 a.m., granted yes, but I like a lot of prep and warm-up time before the race. For this race, the two girls, Lala and Ain, are riding in a different car, but we're supposed to meet up somewhere along the way. Now, that was the exact trouble that I'd really love to avoid...

We arrived at 1km away from the starting line exactly at 7 a.m. We had a late start.

Even worse, right before we run off with the rest of the 12km runners, the housemate announced that he had to use the toilet for a while. Fuck.

Yes.

Seeing that the last of the 12km runners have already left us on the farthest horizon, and the 7km runners are readying for their flag-off, and the housemate still nowhere to be seen, I'm resigned to accept the fact that:
No.1 We'll be flagged off with the Fun Runners
No.2 I'm not having my race at my beloved route today
Fuck.

And, the finisher's t-shirt is cotton. And there is no finisher's medal. Poop.

Since I started with the Fun Runners, I thought I just have to make this run a Fun Run as well. Caught up with Ain after 1km, and with her running at a predictably slow pace, it just kind of seals the deal once and for all. I'm definitely not having a race today.

And Lala this time around didn't win anything. So - Haha!

Act 4 - Post Post Race


I was starving, yes. I'll make it straight forward this time around. That up there is Nasi Goreng Ayam. It's basically just a plate of Nasi Ayam, but the rice is fried. Decent meal, agreeable price, and good service, it's easy to love it. Not highly recommended, but if you ever drive by around Bangi area, drop by the PKNS building in Seksyen 8 Bandar Baru Bangi, second floor, behind the escalator, you will see the food court. Look for stall no.4. It's the only one with a noticeable long queue. It's easy to spot it.

Not that it's a very big food court to begin with.

There - that's the one.

No comments:

Post a Comment