Friday, January 4, 2013

#21 - Best of 2012 in Music


I think it is still not too late to post (my own version of) a 'best of' list for the year 2012. And as I am frequently inclined to do, a music-centered list would be a must.

What I'm going to post here, and here on out, concurrently with posts about my running, is a list of albums from 2012 that I have listened to which have made quite an impact - personally, and universally. I know, I know - to use the term universally is a bit of a stretch, unless I'm talking about some garbage dump truck pop star whose jumble of incoherent noise is totally unavoidable no matter where you go, which most definitely I am not to.

But bet from up here, you can't hear Justin Bieber. Or Nicki Minaj.

The first album to be featured here is one that is the most recently-released and that is currently on heavy rotation, Godspeed You! Black Emperor's latest album (after a while) entitled 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!.

Released in 1st October, it has been a good whole decade since the Canadian collective last released a record. In between that period of their absence, the Black Eyed Peas had gone from a relative nobody to the biggest pop star in the world to a heap of garbage teetering towards the end of their relevance that-was-their-sixth-studio-album The Beginning.

Not pictured: a music band.

I can't even begin to describe the majesty of GY!BE's latest long player other than to just take a listen at the opening track "Mladic".


Never has my five minutes drive to office been so majestic it's like every time, I'm John Cusack driving the van-thing in the movie 2012, running away from a collapsing airport runway. No, scrap that - too majestic. Ah well, anything majestic of your choice is just as good, I suppose.

Majestic!

Gah! Kill it! Kill it with fire!

(You can purchase the album online through the Constellation Records website. MP3 files only retails at $8.)

No comments:

Post a Comment