Sunday, January 6, 2013

#23 - Best of 2012 in Music, Part 2


2012, as with 2010, became the milestone that marked a change in me - specifically: my preferences in music (since this entry is about music anyway). In 2010, I came across Tyler, the Creator and the Odd Future collective, and miraculously, for I have never taken even the slightest of interest in the subject matter, I understand rap music.

Before that, I can recall only a few number of hip hop songs that I knew, that I cared about, and that I actually listen to. Dr. Dre's "The Next Episode" is one - and that's because of the dramatic intro, and the line that follows: "Da-ga-da-ga-da... It's the motherfucker D-R-E... Snoop Dog!..."

I'm a lion now. Call me Snoop Lion.

There was also Eminem, circa The Marshall Mathers LP - also known as the time when Eminem was not an annoying whiny wimp who has to snarl in every song. And there was also Outkast.

And that's about it. It's a very short list.

No - you're not a rapper Fred Durst.

Anyhow - back to 2012 and this happened. Honestly, I didn't care too much about it when it went viral on the internet until his first 'proper' studio was released - and it's called Channel Orange.

Even by then, I actually didn't take notice until I saw glowing reviews from all corners - left, right, and center. I said to myself: "Well, this has got to be something special". So I listened to it - and a sea change happened again.

2010 was my introduction to hip hop - 2012 was R&B.


As a member of Odd Future, I initially thought that Frank Ocean is the odd one out because unlike the rest, he does not rap, he sings. He croons with a voice so tender he could give Ellen DeGeneres orgasm. And because he dabbles with the genre rhythm and blues, stuff like doing drugs and hookers and living the high life, wearing bling-blings does not go well with it.

Or so I thought.

I thought R&B is all about being a sensitive, gentle soul who only yearns to love and to care and to understand women. That shit was Brian McKnight.

Channel Orange on the other hand does cover all the 'unromantic' stuff like doing drugs, having sex (and being poetic about it), living the high life from the point of view of a spoiled kid, and prostitutes (refer to the video below).


But the real highlight of the album has got to be the matter of his homosexuality, and his earnestness was laid bare to all in the very poignant, powerful number called "Bad Religion". It's a forlorn song of a man who has accepted of his first love that will never be returned the favor.


Thankfully Frank Ocean doesn't do a Taylor Swift number on this one or else it is not worthy of the 'Album of the Year' accolade.

Yeah, my version of 'Album of the Year' anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment