Sunday, January 13, 2013

#25 - Dragon Back Run 2013, Race Pack Collection


Date: 12 January 2013
Time: 2:00 p.m.
Starting Point: Seksyen 15, Bandar Baru Bangi
Destination: Pacers Sports Enterprise, Jalan Mohd Tahir, Off Sungai Jati, Klang

Act 1: Race Shirt Collection

It was a glorious Saturday afternoon, and with the housemate and our two other friends, we were all set out for a journey never taken by any of us to (what I recall is a Hellhole) the royal town of Klang. I mean, I have been to Meru last year, once, for my nephew's kenduri kahwin. Then there was the Pesta Sayap 2012, though held at Kuala Selangor, where we did traveled through the fringes of Klang towards Kapar.

And of course when I said 'we traveled' I mean 'I was the driver'. Nothing wrong with that - it was my car anyway.

As seen here, at a restaurant called Papa Seafood, just outside the town of Kapar, having dinner.

Anyway, that was Pesta Sayap, and way back in September. This time though we have to get to the Klang town, and look for this sporting goods store. Or something. I did a Google map search for the place a few days prior, but as I was not THAT familiar with Klang, I had some reservation with my knowledge and confidence. The housemate, having zero knowledge of anything that was about to transpire, relied heavily on me knowing everything.

Before we left house, I recalled something slightly worrying. I asked the housemate: "Do you know the address?" His expected reply was negative.

"It's okay - we'll just ask one of the girls to Google it along the way," he then suggested. Good idea, I thought.

The Learning Channel's directors, on the other hand, have no basic grasp of what is a good idea.

Ten minutes later, we picked up Lala and Ain at Petronas Station at S.15. We were all well aware of the Perhimpunan Kebangkitan Rakyat that was to take place in KL on that day, around that time, so both the housemate and I agreed that the PLUS highway is bad idea. The only other option for us was SKVE.

As Lala was browsing through the internet, looking for the address to the shop, she announce something even more desperately worrying: the race pack collection is only until 3:00 p.m.

The time was 2:20 p.m. It's impossible, I remarked.

"We can probably make it to Klang before 3:00 p.m., but then we have to drive around and actually look for the shop that neither any of us have any idea where on planet Earth it is", I added. There was a disquieting silence for a while before Ain came with a suggestion.

"We can just call the shopkeeper to wait for us."

Said "Will wait for you guys"; immediately closes shop.

I can only thank heaven at that time that this is Malaysia, where leniency is a way of life. "What? Meeting at 9:00 a.m. you say? Let's go and have breakfast at 9:05 first."


After numerous phone calls made to one of the person-in-charge, we finally found the shop, and successfully collected our - well, to call it a race pack is an overstatement - shirt and bib. Attached with the bib is a card for reporting on the morning of the race day, and for a lucky draw.

"This is just like the MMU Rakan Muda Run. You get a free shirt, and a bib that was printed on canvas", I said to a slightly-disappointed housemate. It's his first running race by the way. He would have hated seeing my MPIB Run race pack.

Act 2: Traveling Through the Coastal Parts of Selangor


One of the itinerary of the day, as suggested by me and agreed by the housemate, was to drive all the way to Kuala Selangor to have the excellent cendol bakar. I reasoned since Klang is already like halfway there, we might as well just go straight there. And it's an excellent idea anyway since their cendol is just simply fantastic.

The only part that I don't remember, though, was that the travel from Klang to Kuala Selangor actually takes THAT long. The housemate was already driven to brink of madness, sitting in the modestly-proportioned Proton Saga, in what seemed like ages long.

We were all getting uneasier as the clock ticks by. And even more eagerer, thanks to my endless promotion of the mouth-watering cendol bakar.

It took us one and a half hour to reach there. Aided by the fact that I took the wrong junction - took the junction to Kampung Kuantan and Bestari Jaya, instead of the junction to Ijok.


But with this refreshing, icy-cool, sweet, and milky dessert waiting for us, it was a journey well-worth sitting through for.

And at only RM2 per bowl for the usual, no-frills cendol - cheap as well.

The last time I went there, there was only two other stall selling, uh, something else. This time around, I was mildly surprised to see there was a lot more stalls selling other foodstuff like laksa, bakso, and rojak and cucur udang. The otak otak seller was noticeably missing.

There was a long queue at the drive-through counter as well. A drive-through cendol. What do you know.

We bought two bowls of cendol with pulut and durian, one bowl of cendol with durian, and one bowl of cendol biasa. It puts a bright smile on everyone's faces.

Then the housemate had a bowl of laksa meletup. Very, very delicious.

After finishing our cendol, and two bowls of laksa, we made haste for our next stop: Mee Udang Banjir. Someone told me that this particular restaurant near the junction to Bestari Jaya serves the best mee udang in town, so naturally, I had to check it out.

Tell me again: we are all going for a run next weekend, right?

The verdict: just look at these three satisfied faces below.


Oh shut, this one was taken BEFORE we eat the mee udang. Ah well, suffice to say, it was really good. They use fresh prawns for the dish - you can't go wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment