Thursday, December 6, 2012

#7 - Power running shoes (the old ones...)


While waiting for me to finalize my on-road test of the brand-new old-one On Cloudsurfer, here is a heartfelt story about my first ever running shoe: the Power um... running shoe.

It has no model name - it has no identity. That poor thing.

Ooh... I've got no name. I'm mysterious...

So, uh, I don't know - I mean I'm not quite sure how to do this. You see, with the On Cloudsurfer, that shoe has a name: Cloudsurfer; so I can refer to the shoe as Cloudsurfer. Same thing with my race day shoe, which is the Saucony Powergrid Triumph 9, or the T9 for short. So, that's that.

The people at Power should really take a long, hard look at their marketing department and start realizing that perhaps they are being staffed by mannequins. Or looking at their yearly operational budget and wonder why the marketing department never asked for any money.

Come on Power, give your product a name - so that people, the customer, has something to relate to with.

Not that it's a very good product to begin with, isn't it...?

Well, apart from that I got this shoe, like, a few hours before the 2011 Standard Chartered Kuala Lumpur Marathon started. It was priced at RM80.

Cheap price, hence a cheaply-built product. And no I don't trust your highly glossy website.


From the look of the outsole of the shoe, I clearly have done lots of kilometers in it. I wasn't actually bothered to take note of it before this, but I reckon it's in the 100++ kilometers region.

Well, what else can I say - thank you (this one) Power shoe for taking me on such a long and arduous journey of a beginner marathoner such as myself. You have served me well.

I may at times (lots of it) ridicule your cheap build and the total abence of any form of cushioning whatsoever as compared to the much more properly-built shoes like the Saucony, or the Cloudsurfer.

I know that you are not built to be a contender to the likes of Asics, or Brooks, or New Balance, or Newton, or On, or Saucony, or Skechers, among other. You are just the pretender - the pretender that is very well aware of itself (of it's own shortcomings, so you didn't try very hard).

You are the running shoe for the common people, the running shoe for those who are just starting, the running shoe for people who are only interested in running for two months then totally forgot it for the next twenty years, the running shoe for poseurs who like to think in their mind that they are a total killer on road but know that they could not afford a Nike or Adidas, the running shoe for kids whose parents are only taking a very mild interest in what their children are doing and bought that one shoe in hoping that it will come across as thoughtful but honestly it was a half assed job that was done half assedly.

Or perhaps because your parents doesn't love you that much.

Yeah - that's the persuasive power of the Power shoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment